Wednesday, September 29, 2021

YOU ARE NEXT

Before I left, nobody knew where I was going to, whether I would be back soon or never but all I know was that I was headed to somewhere.

The cool breeze emanating from the yonder part of Enugu-Abakaliki Expressway ushered me in into the abode of the Chinmark Avenue. When I stopped at Thinkers corner junction, I contacted the person who gave me the directions in the first place but there was no need for that for that since I can find my own way by asking but I had to call him just to show that we are still in line. 

Work started in earnest after I had arrived. Since I was used to construction works, I found it easy to be integrated into the society in which I found myself anew. To start with, I had to adapt to the change of weather, get used to some new faces and then learn how to say, "I am done, Sir." If need be.

Of all the personalities that I met at Chinmark Group, Kalu was the most striking one. Being a well-built person, I knew that there was no way I could get close to him without committing an offence. So, when he asked me out of the site that afternoon, I knew that I had committed one. Yes, I am that kind of a person. I can even make you angry just for you to notice me but I was not worried seeing that he needed sometime to calm down which I was eager to provide.

Having made sure that his anger had subsided, I went back to the construction arena without minding whose ox is gored. 

One afternoon, Kalu caught a thief at Chinmark to everybody's chagrin. Left alone, I was never amused because I knew that he could do everything humanly possible to avoid miscreants from entering the place. 

Within me, I wondered if Kalu could deploy this his unassuming nature into securing the bag in his own state by being a politician but that is a story for another day altogether. 

I only took up my pen to write because the situation at hand calls for it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment